Blackwell is a seminal Arts and Crafts movement house built around 1900. Designed by M H Baillie Scott, it is an exemplar of his early decorative work. This project restores the house and adapts it for use as a gallery for the applied arts.
Rich original colours are exposed and metalwork, stained glass, timber panelling and printed wall coverings restored. Modest service rooms are converted to provide new visitor facilities, including a tearoom, reception and sales areas. New elements such as the internal fire escape stair are treated as modern insertions.
Externally, a new entrance courtyard and a sunken parking area are created, along with the replanting of garden terraces using local wild flowers and trees featured in the internal decoration.
Lakeland Arts Trust
Babtie Group Harris and Sutherland
Boyden and Co
Kim Wilkie Associates
Civic Trust Award