N0.1 PRINCE OF WALES ROAD

Camden, London

No.1 Prince of Wales Road was originally built in 1927 to house the newly founded North London Polytechnic. This conversion into sixty flats and maisonettes restores the clarity of the existing building and establishes an organisation which is legible, familiar and domestic.

A generous lobby provides access to individual units via two external courtyards. Although layouts vary, each living space is treated as an open piece of the existing building within which sits a discrete modern interior containing the bathroom, bedrooms, kitchens and shower rooms. Car parking is provided below.

Team

Client
Dorrington
Structural engineer
Price & Myers
Services engineer
Max Fordham LLP
Quantity surveyor
Jackson Coles
Project manager
Jackson Coles
Contractors
JJ Builders
Bowmer and Kirkland

Photography
Etienne Clément
Dennis Gilbert/VIEW

Data

Completion date
1999
Location
1 Prince of Wales Road
London NW5

RIBA/DoE Housing Design Award
1997