KING'S COLLEGE SCHOOL
Founded in 1829, King’s College School moved to its Wimbledon site in 1897 and is one of the most successful independent schools in London, currently educating 1,285 pupils. As the first phase of implementation of the School’s site wide Development Masterplan, this scheme provides six new classrooms, administration and meeting space in addition to a double height, multi-use hall. The classrooms are arranged within a linear building perpendicular to the existing science wing while the hall occupies a separate wing facing the heart of the school, the Great Hall, one of Banister Fletcher’s few built works. The T-shaped plan encloses a new courtyard garden, completing a series of three courtyards to reinforce the collegiate character of the western range of school buildings whose intimate external spaces support the larger open quadrangle.
The new classroom building supports the school’s learning resource infrastructure, by providing first-class new facilities and improving the circulation and access to the existing science building. The multi-use hall has a distinctive pitched roof, recognising in its composition and aesthetics its subordinate relationship with the 19th century Great Hall. The new buildings adopt the red brick of the Great Hall assimilating a previously disconnected collection of buildings into the main school quadrangle.
Through a combination of exemplary air tightness, controlled natural ventilation, enhanced U-values and the use of photovoltaic panels, the scheme will achieve an exemplary energy performance.
Paul Appleton, Laurie Hallows, Andrew Nevin, Nick Weston, Alex Wraight
Kings College School
Fluid Structural Engineers and Technical Designers
Thornton Reynolds Ltd
Primus Build Ltd
Civic Trust Award
2018 Regional Finalist