A 1940’s warehouse in Shad Thames was remodelled to provide studio office, gallery and retail space, with car parking below. Selective demolition is used to create a central light well bringing daylight into the deep plan and to reveal the building’s inner geometry, reinforced by the addition of a new top floor. A small extension to the south provides a new entrance and core.
The tripartite composition of the white rendered facades and metallic grey steel windows reflects the building’s new uses, and projecting balconies overlook the newly-defined Shad Thames Square.
Butler’s Wharf/Conran Roache
Brian Warwicker Partnership
Sir Robert McAlpine