BLACKWELL

Cumbria

Blackwell is a seminal Arts and Crafts movement house built around 1900. Designed by M H Baillie Scott, it is an exemplar of his early decorative work. This project restores the house and adapts it for use as a gallery for the applied arts.

Rich original colours are exposed and metalwork, stained glass, timber panelling and printed wall coverings restored. Modest service rooms are converted to provide new visitor facilities, including a tearoom, reception and sales areas. New elements such as the internal fire escape stair are treated as modern insertions.

Externally, a new entrance courtyard and a sunken parking area are created, along with the replanting of garden terraces using local wild flowers and trees featured in the internal decoration.

Team

Client
Lakeland Arts Trust
Structural engineer
Babtie Group Harris and Sutherland
Services engineer
Max Fordham
Quantity surveyor
Boyden and Co
Contractor
William Anelay
Lanscape architect
Kim Wilkie Associates

Photography
Charlotte Wood

Data

Location
Blackwell
Windermere
Cumbria

RIBA Award
2003
Civic Trust Award
2003